Recently I made a marbled vanilla sponge cake cut into the shape of a parrot and then I piped different coloured dots all over the cake to make it look more like a parrot! I spent a while planning this cake and I want to pass on my top tips for planning cakes, it sounds like a simple thing to-do but you really have to know every detail of the cake your going to make!
Top Tips for Cake Planning
- Think of a shape for your cake- for this cake I chose a parrot shape
- Think of the flavour of the sponge and possible techniques (e.g. marbling) and colours-I chose to have a vanilla sponge that I marbled using the colours yellow, green and blue
- Design the decoration- I chose to use coloured butter icing in dots
- Find a way to get the cake into the correct shape e.g. cake mould, cut the cake…-I made a card template to use to cut the cake into a parrot
- Make sure you have ALL the ingredients you need before starting to bake
- Put your apron on, preheat the oven and get baking!
I hope this helped some of you design and bake your own cakes! Happy baking everybody! 🙂